However, a world with no death faces two challenges.
1. Death (and avoiding it) is a motivating factor to live well.
2. The planet can only handle so many people.
To counter these issues, the creators of the Thunderhead established a league of special individuals that are exempt from monitoring by the Thunderhead. Known as the Scythdom, these people have a singular mandate - the administration of mortality.
The book’s protagonist is Citra, is a strong willed teen, cut from cloth similar to Katniss from Hunger Games. In fact in tone and in pace, there is a bit of resembelence.
But these books are more than a sci-fi wrapper for cinematic teen issues.
Shusterman gives the reader plenty to chew on:
- ethics of choosing who to die
- how to administer death
- choosing/appointing new Scythes
- Big Brother type monitoring
- Consciousness of Artificial Intelligence