The Oscars completes the awards season. Awards are everywhere....Emmys, Grammys, ESPYs, oh my! Even the POTUS submitted his own version of awards.
While not given the exact same spotlight, or fancy evening wear, actuaries give out their own sets of Awards. The 2017 summary is below.
From the Academy of Actuaries:
- Mary Bahna-Nolan of Naperville, Ill.
- Keith Passwater of Brownsburg, Ind.
- Lenny Reback of Highland Park, N.J.
- Nancy Watkins of San Francisco, Calif.
- Aaron Weindling of Philadelphia, Pa.
From the Society of Actuaries:
- Oustanding Volunteer Award
- Karen L. Anway, David M. Dillon, Gregory G. Fann, Jean-Marc Fix, Dieter S. Gaubatz, Brian D. Holland, Xueyun (Sharon) Huang, Allen M. Klein, Maureen A. Premdas, Genghui Wu
- Distinguished Service
- Presidential Award
- Linden Cole
- Andy Ferris
- Jennie McGinnis
- Ling-Ling Wang
- Outstanding Session Awards
- 2017 SOA Annual Meeting
- Session 80 PD - Risks, Losses & Insolvencies Oh My!! , sponsored by the Health Section. Moderator: Douglas T. Norris, FSA, MAAA. Presenters: David M. Dillon, FSA, MAAA; Christopher M. Joyce, JD; Lisa Marie Parker, ASA, MAAA
- Session 114 WS - From Technical Professional to Leader , sponsored by the Leadership & Development Section. Moderator: Carlos Arocha, FSA. Presenter: Raymond E. DiDonna, FSA
- Session 123 PD - The General Insurance Industry and Autonomous Vehicles , sponsored by SOA General Insurance. Moderator: W. Scott Lennox, FSA, FCAS, FCIA. Presenters: Matthew R. Carrier, ACAS, MAAA; John Matley
- Session 155 PD - Communication Breakdown , sponsored by the Leadership & Development Section. Moderator: Kelly M. Hennigan, FSA. Presenters: Kelly M. Hennigan, FSA; Katherine Araujo Pezzullo, FSA, MAAA; Mitchell Bischoff Stephenson, FSA, MAAA; Katie Wright
- Session 174 PD - Newly Proposed ASOPs: Pricing, Modeling and Setting Assumptions sponsored by the Product Development Section. Moderator: David C. Armstrong, FSA, MAAA. Presenters: Nick Fiechter, FSA, MAAA; Maria Rose Itteilag; Donna Christine Megregian, FSA, MAAA
- 2017 Health Meeting
- Session 12 PD - The Nutritional Reversal of Cardiovascular Disease: Fact or Fiction? , sponsored by the Canadian Track:
- Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr., M.D.
- Ken Beckman, ASA, ACAS, MAAA, CFA
- Session 79 PD - Why Health Actuaries Need to Care About Public Health , sponsored by the Health Section:
- Julia K. Lerche, FSA, MAAA, MSPH
- Rebecca Owen, FSA, FCA, MAAA
- Shereen Sayre, A.S.A., M.A.A.A.
- Sara Teppema, FSA, MAAA
- Session 116 PD - Specialty Pharmacy Pipeline Update , sponsored by the Health Section
- Kathryn Bronstein PhD, RN, VP Health Outcomes, Walgreens
- Michael Einodshofer, RPh, MBA, Maxor National Pharmacy Services
- Andrew Kirchner, FSA, MAAA
- Gregory L. Warren, FSA, MAAA
- Session 121 OF - Actuarial Professionalism: The Verdict Is In! sponsored by the Health Section:
- David M. Dillon, FSA, MAAA
- Ben Marshall, FSA, FCIA, CERA, MAAA, J.D.
- Joe Wurzburger, FSA, MAAA
- 2017 Life and Annuity Symposium
- Session 59 PD - InsurTech Startups: Insider Perspectives sponsored by the Product Development Section, the Entrepreneurial & Innovation Section, and the Marketing & Distribution Section. Moderator: Lin Ling Sun, FSA, CERA, MAAA Presenter(s): Adam Erlebacher; Bryan Padgette; Matthew S. Wolf, FSA
- Session 61 PD - Pricing Assumptions Under PBR sponsored by the Financial Reporting Section: Moderator: Carrie Lee Kelley, FSA, MAAA Presenter(s): Carrie Lee Kelley, FSA, MAAA; Martin Snow, FSA, MAAA
- Session 68 - General Luncheon: Professionalism Presenter: Thomas R. Dlouhy, FSA, MAAA
- 2017 Investment Symposium
- Session 4: NAIC Variable Annuity Reserve and Capital Reform and Its Implications to Investment and Hedging
- Aaron J. Sarfatti, ASA
- Larry Zhao, FSA, CERA
- Session 12: Using Derivatives in Pension Investment Strategies
- Jodan H. Ledford
- Rene Martel, FSA, CFA
- Rick Ratkowski, CFA
SOA Section Awards:
- Investment Section
- Asset Allocation Contest Winner
- $10,000 Reddington Prize - The Redington Prize-winning paper is “Lapse-and-Reentry in Variable Annuities,” by Thorsten Moenig and Nan Zhu, FSA. Dr. Moenig is an Assistant Professor of Actuarial Science at Temple University and Dr. Zhu is an Assistant Professor of Risk Management at Penn State University.
- Education and Reserach Section
- 2017 ARC Presentation Prize - First Place Winner Chudamani Poudyal for “T-estimation for Insurance Loss Data.”
- Leadership and Development Section
- Leadership Inspiration Contest - Grand Prize = $250 gift card = Best Overall Submission. Mary Pat Campbell, FSA, MAAA for “An Influential Lesson from Old Ben: Borrow Books”
- 2017 Student Case Study Challenge - First place, the Chinese University of Hong Kong with a $5,000 grant.
- Kaggle Program Winners
- Securing Future Retirements Paper - TBD
- Financial Wellness Essay Winner Gregory Ward, "Calculating ROI: Measuring the Benefits of Workplace Financial Wellness"
- NAAJ Best Paper - TBD
From the Casualty Actuary Society:
- American Risk and Insurance Association Prize - TBD
- Charles A. Hachemeister Prize - Benjamin Avanzi, Greg Taylor, and Bernard Wong -"Correlations Between Insurance Lines of Business: An Illusion or a Real Phenomenon? Some Methodological Considerations"
- Ratemaking Prize - Uri Korn, Best Paper. "An Alternative Approach to Credibility for Large Account and Excess of Loss Treaty Pricing"
- Ferguson Reinsurance Prize- Best Paper Joseph Boor "On-Leveling Unbiased Development for Individual Claims - Taming the Wild Burning Cost"
- Ronald Bornhuetter Loss Reserve Prize - TBD
From the Conference of Consulting Actuaries:
- Lifetime Acheivement Award - Nadine Orloff
- Most Valuable Volunteer - Thomas A. Swain