Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Actuary Unable To Do Basic Math Without Excel

“I never saw this coming.” An actuary, who will just be referred to as Mr. X, lamented.
He was planning to assist his 8-year-old granddaughter with her math homework.  The topic was division.  Mr. X had no idea how to do it.
“I had to use a spreadsheet and get the answer.” He confessed.
“I knew it looked right, but I couldn’t explain to her why, or how to figure it out in her head.  I guess all these years of doing things on a computer just wiped away my basic arithmetic skills.”

This phenomenon is known as mathematical impotency, and is common among retiring actuaries.  It is showing increasingly earlier onset.
Drug companies are currently researching ways to restore the calculative functions and some early testing is underway.   Mr. X is part of an experimental drug study, and for the most part it seems to be working. 

“The only drawback was when the need for addition lasted over four hours.”


No comments:

Post a Comment